Sunday, September 15, 2013

Wrigley Start Early 5k (4-22-07)

I hadn't really planned on running this race, but the start line was literally right outside my door :grin:, so I made the last minute decision to register.  The weather couldn't have been nicer, low 70s, not a cloud in the sky, and hardly any wind.:cool: However, I was a little apprehensive about racing because I still haven't done ANY speed work and I went 7 straight days without running last week.:cry: My only goal was to go under 20:35 (which was my 5k time from a race 1 month ago), and I thought I had no chance at doing that given my crappy month of April.:meh:

The first mile went pretty well. I could tell I was moving too fast, but things felt really good, so I thought maybe I could hold it.  The course was pretty much a straight out and back route, with the turnaround at 1.5 miles. Just before the turnaround, I felt the pain coming on pretty strong.:cry: Then I heard Possum yell, "embrace the pain!":evil::evil: I kept saying that to myself over and over. It seemed to help. Also, this was the first race in a long time that I didn't wear headphones. I think not wearing them was fine, and might even have helped me focus on my running.

Shortly after the turnaround, I fell into a pack of about 5 guys. I was really starting to struggle, so I took the Terrythedrummer approach- I said to the guys, "are we having fun yet?" But the only response I got was a few dirty looks.:laugh: Oh well. It was fun running in a pack like that, but I realized that we were probably running slower than I'd be running if I were on my own. So I started to break away. I was pretty much in the middle of the pack before I started breaking away. When the leader noticed what I was doing he decided to join me.

I could tell he wasn't doing so well and I asked him if he was ok? He said his hamstring hurt and was gonna walk the rest of the way, so he dropped out. With about a half mile to go, I caught up with what I now learned was the 1st place female finisher. I hung with her for a little over a quarter mile. We were approaching the finish line so I started to kick with a quarter mile left. I think she was comfortable with her lead, and decided to just hold her pace. I saw the clock click past 20:00 which was a little frustrating, but not that big of a deal because I was pretty happy with the way I ran.

While I'm pleased with how I raced, my splits are PITIFUL!:cry: I really need to work on evening them out. Also, either the course was long, I did a lot of weaving, or my Garmin was off because it came up as 3.15 miles.

Mile 1- 6:06
Mile 2- 6:37
Mile 3- 6:39
0.15 :wtf:- 0:55
FINISH- 20:19

No comments:

Post a Comment