Sunday, September 15, 2013

Soldier Field 10 miler (5-24-08)

I didn't have any goals set in stone for this race. Initially I had wanted to run this at a 7:15 pace, but after a string of bad runs leading in to the race, I decided just to go out there and give it whatever I had. My confidence was not where it should have been to start this race, and I was experiencing a high level of anxiety leading up to it. :meh:

The race is called the Soldier Field 10 because the finish is on the 50 yard line. The weather was PERECT! Low 60s, sunny, and hardly any wind. :cool: This is a big race, 7,500 people registered. While waiting at the starting chute I ran into Matt who is the Adidas rep in Chicago. We discussed our planned paces and agreed to start out together. The course was along Lake Shore Drive, and the lakefront path.  It was nice to race on territory that I was so familiar with.

I'll never understand how people can start in places at which they have no business lining up. :mutmad: But things cleared up about a mile into the race.  It took me a little while, but I fell into a comfortable rhythm around mile 3 or 4. I was feeling strong and thinking positive thoughts, so I just kept plugging away. At mile 4.5, Matt was starting to fade, so I wished him good luck as he dropped back. 

At mile 6 the fatigue started to set in hard. I realized that I probably started out too fast. :cry: I had planned to pick up the pace in the last few miles, but at this point I realized that doing so would be impossible. I just told myself that I would try to hang on as best I could. 

With 3 miles left, I was REALLY struggling.  I kept looking at my Garmin in disbelief at how slowly each mile was going by. I felt like I was dragging. My quads tightened up, and some cramping set in. The discomfort was intense, I just tried not to fade.

I was somehow able to dig down in the last mile, and I kicked it out pretty good in the last quarter mile. Knowing the race is almost over and passing people seems to really help. Here are the splits...

Mile 1- 7:14
Mile 2- 7:20
Mile 3- 7:17
Mile 4- 7:26
Mile 5- 7:16
Mile 6- 7:09
Mile 7- 7:22
Mile 8- 7:12
Mile 9- 7:27
Mile 10- 6:56
FINISH- 1:12:41 (7:17 avg pace)

363/6,045 Overall, 81/667 AG

I'm definitely happy with the outcome of this race. But part of me wanted more. According to the McMillan running calculator, based on my recent 10k time of 41:40, I should be able to run a 10 miler in 1:09:49. I didn't expect to do that, but I thought I could get close. I love the 5k-10k, but maybe I need to accept the fact that I'm not cut out for the distance stuff? :wtf: All I know is that I still have a lot of work to do before the marathon in October.

As always, thanks for reading, and thanks for your unending support. :hug: 


No comments:

Post a Comment