Sunday, September 22, 2013

Petco 5k

Since most races prohibit dogs, I was very excited when I saw a race that actually encouraged running with your dog. I picked up my 2 sisters and we drove to the course. The pre and post race area was a blast! Tons adorable dogs everywhere. There was also plenty of vendors and exhibits, a large stage, a photo booth, and an off-leash play area. There was a ridiculous amount of swag- endless treats, toys, t-shirts, dog food, and human food. The festivities alone would have made this a great day. 

My plan was to do this as a hard tempo run. I had been out late celebrating my birthday and I barely slept. But I was feeling surprisingly good. I did a 1 mile warm up with Miles and we headed to the start line. (Fortunately he pooped during the warm up and not the race). I knew the distance wouldn't be a problem for Miles, but I'd never pushed him that hard in training. He may have done a few miles at 7:30 pace, but that's the fastest he's run with me. 

We lined up right on the start line and Miles was being very well behaved. Not every runner had a dog. In fact, most runners at the front didn't have a dog. Miles was being very well behaved in the corral. Miles and I ran the first quarter mile with the lead pack. He was the first place dog for a while, but then some little dog came storming out of nowhere! It was a little mini Australian Shepherd, probably 20lbs. They were flying! The lead pack thinned out, and Miles settled into a nice rhythm. 

I was shocked with how fast Miles was running. He was pulling on the leash for most of the way. He could have ended with a much faster finish time, but I slowed him down. I felt good, too. The 6:30 pace was "comfortably hard". Miles was absolutely cruising. His tongue was wagging, but he wasn't even panting. He's ears were flopping around adorably. I have no idea what was going through his head, but there was an excited joy about him. 

We passed a few people in the last mile, and we got a huge cheer as we crossed the finish line. I dropped to a knee and hugged the hell out of him. I was so damn proud!

Mile 1: 6:29
Mile 2: 6:41
Mile 3: 6:30
0.1- 41

FINISH- 20:23 (6:35 pace) 

2nd AG
9th OA

The first place finisher was the guy with the 20lb dog. They finished in 17:16!

This was such a fun event. Along the course was a line of port-a-potties. Next to the port-a-potties was a line of plastic fire hydrants! I also thought it was funny that there was both a med tent and a vet tent. There was so much to see and do. Petco did a great job with this race. My family and I truly enjoyed ourselves, and Miles was in heaven all morning. Tons of laughs and smiles all around. 






No comments:

Post a Comment