Sunday, September 15, 2013

Chicago Half Marathon (9-13-09)

I ran this race with my gf. She's training for the Chicago Marathon and is in MUCH better shape than I am. But this was supposed to be just a fun training run, and that's exactly what it was. :grin:

We drove to the course which is on the South side of the city. When we got there the lines for the port-a-potties were astounding! :shocker!: We waited in line for about 10 minutes before realizing that we wouldn't make it to the start if we kept waiting. We left the line and I peed in a bush. I tried to get her to do the same, but she declined. :laugh:

It was warm out already and it was only 7:30. I could tell this wasn't a good sign, but tried to keep a positive outlook. The gun sounded and off we went. This is a large race, ~15,000 runners. The plan was to stick to a 9:20-9:30 pace for the first few miles and see if we could drop the pace from there. Unfortunately, we didn't stick to the plan, and there were bad consequences as a result. 

We simply started out at too fast. The first mile was 8:58, mile 3 was 8:45. I felt good at the time, but I knew those first few miles would be a problem. I kept telling LRA we should ease off the pace. We tried, but it wasn't happening. It's something I'll have to work on. By mile 6 or 7 I was starting to feel fatigued. The heat was a real issue. It was in the upper 70s by now, and there was no shade whatsoever. :cry: By mile 9/10 I was really struggling. Meanwhile, LRA is just breezing through this like it's a stroll in the park. :mutmad::laugh: But she did a great job of pulling me along and encouraging me to keep moving forward. I am quite grateful for that. :hug:

The last 3 miles (and particularly mile 12) were really tough. I was kicking myself for going out too fast, but also trying to remind myself that we were just out there to have a good time and enjoy each other's company. After all, it was our first race together. I saw about 20 pairs of LunarGlides out there. And each time I saw one I made sure to point it out. After a while my gf did not find this amusing. :laugh: Annnnyway, I didn't have much of (or any) kick in the last mile, but I tried to push harder to ensure that I left everything out there. It was not the kick I had expected or hoped for, but I was happy to be able to pick it up a bit. We crossed the finish line and gave a big sweaty hug. :grin: We got some food, she finally got to pee, and we got the hell outta there. :cool:

Mile 1- 8:58
Mile 2- 9:00
Mile 3- 8:45
Mile 4- 8:52
Mile 5- 9:07
Mile 6- 9:08
Mile 7- 8:49
Mile 8- 9:17 (I think this mile marker was long)
Mile 9- 8:51
Mile 10- 8:56
Mile 11- 8:47
Mile 12- 9:18
Mile 13- 8:29
0.1- 0:51
FINISH- 1:57:33

Although I know I can do better, overall I'm very happy with the outcome of this race and with my progress as a whole. I had a great time with the lady and it's just so wonderful to be running again. :cool:

No comments:

Post a Comment