Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pumpkins In The Park 5k (10-14-07)

I say race report because yes, I actually raced it. I can't believe I tried convincing myself that it would be a nice easy tempo run. :roll: It's a fun Halloween race, and there were all kinds of funny costumes and cute kids. :cool: 

I really did plan on going out at about a 7:30-7:45 pace for the first 2 miles, and then seeing what I had left in the last mile, but I guess I lined up too close to the front of the start line. When the gun went off people were flying, so I just kinda hung with them. I was feeling TERRIFIC! :grin: When I hit the first mile, I realized that I went out waaaaay too fast, so I just said fuck it, it's too late to make this a tempo run, now it's a race.

It's an out and back course and at the 1.5 mile turn around point I was still feeling great, but starting to get a little fatigued. I thought about Possum, and that perked me up a bit. I don't think I can go a race without thinking about him. It's funny, I don't even know the guy, but he gets me so fired up! :cool:

At mile 1.75 I was tired, but still couldn't believe how strong I was feeling. I might have slowed down a bit, but I got a catcall from one of the girls handing out water. :blush: That helped me step it up. :laugh::roll: At mile 2.0 I caught up with a double amputee. This guy had no legs but he was absolutely hauling ass!! I was about to pass him, but I said, c'mon bro, let's do this! That helped him step it up a bit. I really tried to drop this guy, but I just couldn't. He was moving really well, so I kept pushing on strong. It was such a great feeling to be able to hammer out that last mile. At about mile 2.5 a pack of 4 guys came into view. I said to the guy next to me, "let's pick them off by the end of race." He agreed, and we somehow pushed harder! We caught and passed them. :grin: The whole time I kept thinking, wow, I can't believe I'm running this well.

I saw the 3 mile marker and I just turned it into overdrive! :evil: I finally dropped that guy, and just friggin crushed the last 0.1 like it was a can of Redbull :grin: I grabbed some water and wolfed down 3 slices of pizza. :cool: Here's the splits...

Mile 1- 6:25
Mile 2- 6:46
Mile 3- 6:16
0.1- 0:47 
FINISH- 20:15

This is my 2nd fastest 5k, and a HUGE confidence booster after last week's marathon debacle. :grin: Thanks for reading. :hug: 

No comments:

Post a Comment