Sunday, September 15, 2013

Chicago Distance Classic Half Marathon (8-13-07)

I've never been this unprepared for a race before.:meh: And as you probably know, I've been plenty unprepared for a race or 2 in my day.: pbbt: But realistically, I've only been running healthy for about 2 weeks.

The race started at 6:30am, but it was still pretty hot and damn humid. This is about a 12,000 person race, and I like the hype and excitement of these larger events.:cool: As it was time to enter the starting gate, I lined up well in the back since I wasn't planning on passing too many people this race. They announced on the loudspeaker that Dick Beardsly was running the race. (He ended up finishing in 1:25).

The gun went off and I told myself that I'd try to hang at a 9:00 pace, and then turn it up in the last few miles if I had anything left. During miles 1-4 I was feeling great, almost wishing I could pick up the pace, but I held back. Nonetheless by mile 5/6 I realized that I had probably started out too fast.:cry: My legs were feeling heavy, and I was much more fatigued than I should have been at that point in the race.:sad: But I wasn't gonna let myself fade, I forced myself to push on at that 9:00 pace.

By mile 9 I was starting to get worried. I hadn't faded, but I was struggling. I REALLY started feeling my lack of training.:sad: At this point I thought to myself, "oh shit, I have no legs!"I couldn't get my mind off it. But I knew it was bad to maintain such negative thoughts. I realized that even though I had no legs, I still had mad heart! It gave me a new mantra, "no legs, all heart." I just kept saying it over and over... it seemed to help.:grin:

I wish I had a kick at the end, but it just wasn't there.:meh: The last 2 miles were a REAL struggle, but I was absolutely determined not to fade. I held my pace and continued to fight the intense pain and discomfort.  The finish line was a beautiful sight, and it was such a wonderful feeling to finally cross it. I finished in 1:58:29 which is a new PW.:shocker!: I normally would not be happy with a PW, but considering where I was 1 short month ago, I am very pleased :happy::cool:

Something else kinda cool. A guy from my store WON the race!!:shocker!::shocker!: But he's so modest, and down to earth, you'd have no idea he was such a running stud. He came in to work after the race, and worked the whole day like it was no big deal! :cool:

Here are the splits....

Mile 1- 8:43
Mile 2- 9:00
Mile 3- 8:56
Mile 4- 8:58
Mile 5- 9:03
Mile 6- 9:03
Mile 7- 9:07
Mile 8- 9:17
Mile 9- 9:07
Mile 10- 9:03
Mile 11- 9:15
Mile 12- 8:58
Mile 13- 8:56
0.1- 0:57
FINISH- 1:58:29

As always, thanks for reading, and thanks for the support! :hug::hug::hug: 

No comments:

Post a Comment