Sunday, September 15, 2013

Shamrock Shuffle 8k (3-30-08)

My original goal for this race was to PR (33:55). But in the middle of the week I got REALLY sick, and realized that my chances of PRing were slim. :sad: In fact, moments before the race began, I was contemplating simply pacing a friend instead of racing. But I decided at the very last minute to give it whatever I had, even if I wasn't feeling 100%

For those of you who don't know, the Shamrock Shuffle is the biggest 8k in the world. 30,000 runners. I like these big events. :grin: I had a Corral B start, so I didn't caught in the crowd. 

I hit the 1st mile MUCH faster than I'd expected, so I just tried to hang on. I kept telling myself, "You're not sick! You're not sick!" About half way in I saw this tiny kid, he was absolutely flying!! I asked him how old he was, he said 9! :shocker!: I couldn't believe how fast those little legs were moving. I gave him a thumbs up and broke away from him, take that you little shit! : pbbt:

When I hit the 3rd mile marker I was really starting to struggle. :cry: But I kept pushing forward. Then some dude came outta nowhere and asked, "first race?" I said no. The he goes,"You do marathons?" I said yes. Then he started asking me about my times and I politely told him that I was having trouble breathing, but wished him luck in the race. I normally have no problem chatting it up at these things, but with just over 1 mile to go- I was in no mood to talk. 

When I hit the last mile marker, I tried to give it whatever I had, but there just wasn't much left. I was really starting to feel the fatigue from being sick. When the finish like came into view I thought maybe I had a chance of breaking 34:00. I gave it everything and I was somehow able to kick REAL hard. But it wasn't enough, and it just didn't happen. Oh well.

Mile 1- 6:56
Mile 2- 7:00
Mile 3- 7:00
Mile 4- 6:49
Mile 5- 6:16
FINISH- 34:04 (6:51 pace)

I'm disappointed in not PRing. But given the circumstances, this was better than I had expected. :grin:

No comments:

Post a Comment