Sunday, September 15, 2013

St Paddy's Day 5k (3-17-07)

3-17-07

I never sleep well the night before a race. Start time was 9am, had the alarm set for 7:30, woke up at 6 :cry:. Shook off the sleepiness, did the whole pre-game routine, donned my green long-sleeve shirt, and I was out the door.

The start-line was only about a mile from my place :grin:, so I used that as a warm-up. When I got there I realized quickly that I wasn't the only one who decided to wear green:roll:.  It was about 29 degrees with 15mph winds, not ideal, but definitely could be worse. 

Everyone lined up at the start, and when the person on the loudspeaker announced 1 minute till the horn, the butterflies come on like clockwork.  I lined up about 5 feet behind the line. I thought that'd be close enough, but there were still people who started up close that were moving slow as hell:mutmad:. After I finished weaving, I fell into a groove and really felt good. What a difference it makes not partying so hard 2 nights before the race :roll:

A mile into it and I really couldn't believe how much better I was feeling compared to my last 5k. The pain was definitely there, but nowhere near as intense. I think there's a lot to be said about positive reinforcement, I kept telling myself over and over how great I felt. But by about 1.5 miles in, I really started to feel fatigued. I refused to let it get to me, and kept pushing on. Got passed a few times :sad:

When the 3 mile marker came into sight, I broke away from a pack and really started to kick.  There was a guy about 20 feet ahead of me, and I just went balls out and caught him a few feet from the finish line :grin:.  I think I really need to work on the strategy of finishing though, because there's no way I should have been able to kick that strong. I kinda wonder if I didn't push myself hard enough in the last mile.  

My Garmin actually worked this time, so here are the splits...

Mile 1- 6:18
Mile 2- 6:45
Mile 3- 6:49
0.1- 0:42
Finish- 20:35

I told myself that my only goal was to beat my last race time of 20:38. I've come to terms with the fact that I'm not in the kind of shape I was in when I ran the marathon and before I got hurt. And while I'm relatively happy with today's time, I'm nowhere near satisfied.  But I think being unsatisfied is a big part of what keeps me striving for more. I have pretty serious long-term ambitions, and I'm so hungry when it comes to this shit.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for your unending support. :hug::hug: 



No comments:

Post a Comment