Sunday, September 15, 2013

Wacky 5k (3-2-08)

Having taken 2 weeks off with some hip issues just one week before this race, I told myself that I only wanted to have fun and didn't care about PRing or breaking 20:00. Of course, telling myself that and actually feeling that way are two separate issues. I tried not to put any pressure on myself, but of course I really cared about this race and wanted to do well.

Aside from some slight winds, I couldn't have asked for nicer weather in early March. :cool: The race is snack food themed to celebrate the end of National Snack Food Month.

As we were waiting in line for the port-a-potties, some dude took off his shirt. "Not that big of a deal," I thought, "it's warm enough to forgo a shirt." Then for a top, he pulled on a large pizza costume over his torso. "Ok," I thought, "it's a snack food themed race, I guess that's understandable." Then he took off his pants and was wearing nothing but a light blue flowered speedo!! :shocker!::shocker!: For that, I could find no justification. But hey, I guess you should run in whatever you're most comfortable. 

The horn went off, and of course people started closer to the starting line than they had any business doing. :mutmad: I think I went out a little too fast because I was too focused on getting around the large crowd. Finally the crowd thinned and I fell into a rhythm, I told myself for the past couple days that this would be a positive race and I'd have positive thoughts going through my head throughout it. St8 gave me a few tips, and I tried to keep his words in mind. I tried to ready myself to expect the pain, to "accept" it, and to carry it along with me. 

Sure enough, VERY early in the 2nd mile, the discomfort came on real strong. It started with a gradual buildup, but got more and more intense. When the pain got bad, I would try to focus on how well I was doing, and that made it subside a bit. At one low point I thought to myself, "man I really wish I hadn't taken those 2 weeks off," but I abruptly nipped that type of thinking in the bud, and reverted to convincing myself I was running well. Nonetheless, I couldn't help but think how blissful it would be to just stop right then and there.

With a little less than one mile to go, despite desperately wanting it to end, I somehow felt like I had a little more in me. I squeezed out whatever I had left, and started picking people off. I spent a good amount of time looking at the course map, so I knew exactly where I was and how far I had to go, that really helped. With about half a mile to go, Pizza Speedo Guy came into view!! :shocker!: He was running really strong, but I was steadily gaining on him. No one had passed me in the last mile, and with a ½ mile to go he was the only person within striking distance. With about 200m to go I was about 5 feet behind him. He kept looking over his shoulder at me, and I gave everything I had to catch him, but his kick was too strong. :sad: Oh well, I'm not ashamed of getting beat by a dude in a speedo and giant pizza costume, our paths shall cross again Pizza Speedo Guy. :grin:

I wish I had a stronger kick at the end, but I think I went out too hard in the first mile, and started stepping it up too early in the last mile. Strategy will come to me with patience and experience.

Mile 1- 6:18
Mile 2- 6:32
Mile 3.1- 6:49 (6:12 pace)
FINISH- 19:39 (6:20 avg)

An unexpected PR by 7 seconds. I've been chasing it since October 2006 :grin:
I'm very happy with the outcome of this race, but I know that I've got more in me if I can stay healthy. :cool:

As always, thanks for reading, and thanks for your unending support. :hug::hug: 




No comments:

Post a Comment