Tuesday, November 22, 2016

2016 Philadelphia Half Marathon

In May of 2016, after a long break from running, I realized that my training was starting to come together, and I was improving rapidly. But I decided that I did not want to run a marathon in 2016. I'm sure I could have finished a marathon in a somewhat respectable time. But I didn't want to run a marathon until I could do the proper training to run an exceptional race. Instead, I chose the Philadelphia Half Marathon as my goal race of the season.

I started regularly meeting up with my running team, The Dashing Whippets, and developed great relationships with my teammates. I've never met such an incredible group of people. They motivated me, inspired me, and supported me on a daily basis. I was also in regular contact with my coach, Neely Spence Gracey. She provided invaluable guidance throughout the season.

As a result, my training in 2016 could not have gone better. I was consistently running 50-55 miles/week, and I reached levels of fitness I had only dreamed of. During the season I ran a mile in 4:59, a 10 miler in 1:03, and a half in 1:26. I felt absolutely certain that I would have an outstanding performance at the Philly Half. But things didn't go as planned…

I arrived in Philly on Friday morning, did a little bit of sightseeing and picked up my bib. I ran the Rocky steps and fulfilled a childhood dream of mine. After meeting a friend for dinner, I was in bed early, and woke up feeling ready.


I walked to the start line, did a 2.5 mile warm up, and got in my corral. My warm up felt great and reinforced my belief that this race would go well. In fact, I was certain of it. I headed to the start and waited in the corral for about 15 minutes before we took off. My plan was to start conservatively and settle into a comfortable pace for the first 3 miles. That's exactly what happened. The first 3 miles were 6:21-6:23 and I felt amazing. I was completely relaxed and controlled. I felt very confident that I could hold this pace (and probably a faster one) for the entire race.

Miles 4 and 5 were even better. I was completely dialed-in and could not have felt stronger. Then at mile 6 I climbed a hill that was the size of Harlem Hill in Central Park. I tried not to surge up the hill, but just maintain a steady effort. I was able to get over the first hill without any major incident.

But about 5 minutes later, just as I recovered from that hill, I encountered another hill unlike anything I had ever raced on before. It was twice the size of Harlem Hill and even steeper. I did everything I could to maintain control over this hill, but it absolutely broke me and I was never the same.


I simply couldn't recover from this hill, and just as I reached the bottom, there was another massive incline that shot straight up. By the time I reached the top of this 3rd climb I was toast. It was only mile 8 and my legs were done. Fried.

The next 5 miles were some of the longest miles of my life. Fading this early was devastating both physically and emotionally. I went into "survival mode" for the remainder of the race. The discomfort was off the charts and my body was screaming at me. I was in such intense pain that I felt like a trauma victim- simply trying to disassociate myself until it was over. I put every drop of energy into maintaining the fastest pace I could manage. And that pace wasn't much. I was in total agony and begging for the race to end.

All aboard the pain train
I crossed the finish line and nearly collapsed. It was obvious to the medics at the finish line that I was in rough shape. Two staff members held me upright until I caught my breath and regained some strength in my legs. I thanked them and had to assure them repeatedly that I was ok before they allowed me to walk off on my own.



Here are the splits. Just based off these it doesn't look like I had a total meltdown. But I assure you, miles 8-13 were disastrous.


I'm disappointed with the outcome of this race because the finish time does not reflect my fitness level. This was a goal race and I did not perform as expected. But it is well-established that success in this sport is based on long-term consistency and steady development. When I take a step back and look at the big picture, I couldn't be more satisfied with the progress that I've made and the direction that I'm heading.


Moving to New York has been a fantastic change for me on so many levels. But one of the best parts about the move was the opportunity to join NYC's running community. There is a palpable enthusiasm and energy in Central Park, at races, and among the running clubs. I've also landed myself on the most supportive and encouraging running team imaginable. I am amazed by the camaraderie, grateful for the friendships, and excited about continued training with this remarkable group of people.

2016 has been an unparalleled year for growth, new experiences, and successful training. I am eager to find out what 2017 has to offer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment