Friday, November 29, 2013

North Shore Turkey Trot 10k

My goal for this race was to PR (41:40). My training has been going very well lately, and I knew 41:40 was attainable. I thought more realistically I'd be between 40 - 41.

The race conditions were frigid. Temps at the start time were in the low 20s with single digit wind chills. This was the coldest Turkey Trot that I can recall. I met some friends and did a short warmup. I was feeling good, but anxious to run because it was so cold.

The gun went off, and I went out at a steady, comfortable pace. The first mile came out at 6:40. I was fine with this, but I was feeling good so I quickened my pace just slightly.

I really enjoyed the course with its rolling hills along the beautiful homes of Highland Park. Mile 2 came out at 6:33, and mile 3 was 6:42.

I was feeling strong and by the 5k mark I knew this would be a great race. I made a pretty big move, and picked up the pace significantly. But when mile 4 came out at 7:40 I knew the course was fucked up. This was frustrating, but I was still in a good zone. I tried not to let it upset me, and I wanted to make the most of the race.

Despite some hills in the last 2 miles, I was able to run hard. I went 6:21 and 6:17 in the last 2 miles. In the last half mile there was a steep downhill and I tried to carry that moment to the finish. I had a strong kick in the last quarter mile, and I passed a guy just 20m from the finish line.

Mile 1- 6:40
Mile 2- 6:33
Mile 3- 6:42
Mile 4- 7:40
Mile 5- 6:21
Mile 6- 6:17
0.2- 1:11

FINISH- 41:40

6/74 AG
28/1,265 OA

It was confirmed by the race organizers that the course was long and the lead biker took a wrong turn. This was frustrating, but I ended up running 6:26 pace. I can't be upset with that.

I also had a great time with family and friends, so overall it was a big win.




No comments:

Post a Comment